Monday, May 9, 2011

Dave Brubeck

Dave Brubeck is best know for his song 'Take Five', from the legendary album Time Out. And rightfully so, because it's a great song. Dave Brubeck usually played together with his quartet, whose most notable member (except from Brubeck himself of course) was Paul Desmond, a brilliant saxophone player. I like Dave Brubeck because he has something that's most important for every musician: creativity. Brubeck gave a new perspective to music by using uncommon time signatures. I'd try to explain it but it's rather hard to explain to people that aren't into music and English isn't my native language, so I'd probably fuck the explanation up anyway ;D
Ah well, I'll give it a go. Instead of using the way more conventional 4/4 or 6/8 time signature, Dave Brubeck experimented with time signatures such as 9/8 and 5/4. If improvising on jazz music isn't hard enough already, try it in a time signature you're not used to! It takes some time to get used to, especially when you actually try to play in these time signatures, but once you're used to it, it's a lot of fun!


I really love this song. Why exactly? It's one of the songs that really got me into jazz. I even played a guitar version of this song for my guitar exam a couple of years ago :D






On a jazz-unrelated note: there are certain experimental musical genres that work with unconventional time signatures, one of which is post-rock. A band that I really recommend is And So I Watch You From Afar, a band from Northern Ireland that kicks some serious ass.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent music AND music with odd times suggested?

    Effing awesome.

    ReplyDelete